Monday, February 20, 2006

Back to Basics




The other day a buddy of mine emailed me asking if I knew of any Play by Email games going on, (It seems that the one he had been playing in had gone on indefinite hiatus). I contacted the DM of the basher game to see if he could work him in, but we already had close to ten players, so I wasn’t too surprised when he said he couldn’t. Later while perusing several message boards I came across a post asking if anyone was running a Basic D&D game. The more I thought about it that day the more intrigued I became. I was familiar with the basic D&D game; having played when I was first introduced to gaming a century ago, but it had been decades since I last played it. Doing a bit of research I found that the Basic D&D world is as vibrant as any out there. And the Rules Cyclopedia is one of the best written and organized sets of rules ever published. Many dismiss it as beginner’s rules, but Basic D&D and its campaign world of Mystara has a definite presence on the net.
So I gathered a few of my dusty Gazetteers and downloaded a PDF of the Rules Cyclopedia, and decided to run a game for my friend. I put out the word on some of the gaming boards and got a couple of bites. So, If anyone else out there wants to play some REAL old school D&D drop me a line.

No comments:

Post a Comment