Friday, August 11, 2006

GURPS


I’ve been a gamer for almost 30 years, I started like most with Dungeons & Dragons and continued with all the basics- Traveller, Champions, Runequest, Gamma World, Boot hill, Etc. But my gaming world was turned upside down with a crazy sounding game called GURPS. There was a time when I was known in my circle of friends as “The GURPS guy”.
I ran a campaign called “Everwhen” where my players were allowed to create characters from any genre or time period. They were then kidnapped from their home universes and teamed up with each other to deal with threats to the Multiverse. I also ran a Hyborian campaign for several years in Hawaii and a real fun “Cliffhangers” pulp game. Whenever I went to our local game store, the owner would show us the “latest innovation in RPG’s”, I’d flip through the pages, nod politely and say “Cool. But I can do that with GURPS”.
Through the years I’ve dabbled in many systems but I always came home to AD&D and GURPS. I really haven’t been doing much tabletop gaming in the last few years so when GURPS went to it’s fourth edition I didn’t rush right out to get it, first off like I said I wasn’t doing any gaming, secondly they split the basic book into two volumes with a sticker price of $39.99 each, and then add to that the fact that I got screwed by D&D 3.0 going to 3.5 almost overnight.
Well, the other day I saw Amazon had the Character book for like $25.00 with free shipping. I figured it was about time to take the plunge. I got the book yesterday and have spent every spare moment perusing it. They’ve tightened up the rules, gathered all the skills together in one place and finally gave the game some decent art. Next payday I’ll be picking up the Campaign book and hopefully I’ll find some folks at the next gamers Meetup who will be interested enough to play.

Funny, but for whatever reason I never could like 3rd edition D&D, I tried but it just wasn’t there for me. But I can hardly wait to play GURPS 4th edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment