Saturday, September 23, 2006

PDF's rule!




Today I went with my wife on a shopping trip to Target, as usual I took along some reading material knowing that much of our visit would be in departments that hold little interest to me ( I can only spend so much time scoping out the toy and electronic aisles).
I had a copy of the new Ultimate Power supplement for Mutants and Masterminds. On our way home from the store I realized that I didn’t have the book with me. It turns out while loading the van with our purchases I left the book in the cart. We turned around and went back; luckily I found it still in the shopping cart in the parking lot. If it was a print copy I could have been out &36.95 + tax. Since it was a PDF, I would have been out the price of a binder and the trouble of printing it up.
So yes of course, nothing beats holding a real book in your hands. But the argument for PDF’s just earned a +1 in my book.

2 comments:

  1. I've had similar experiences, but not with gaming books.
    I had located a copy of Edgar Rice Burrough's "A Princess of Mars" to read and accidentally left it on the dash of my car when I went in to my local comic shop.
    Mind you, I live in Mississippi, so by the time I returned, the binding glue had been completely annihilated in the summer sun.
    I was relieved to learn that the book was in the public domain, so now I can always access it as a PDF.
    Still, what really beats holding a book in your hands? Nothing, if you're a bibliophile like me. I love the heft of a book, the texture of the paper, and the crispness of an unbent cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pdf's too and with the M&M products, Green Ronin has on a couple of occasions got me in the $$$ dept. twice!

    I was super antsy about Freedom City 2e and The Mastermind Manual..But that ends up getting costly so I now just wait for the HC..

    Savage Worlds though...

    Man! I *HAD* to have Necessary Evil when it came out!! and then i piucked up the HC too!!

    I also love the SW Tool-kits..The Pulp one's are top-notch!

    ReplyDelete