Thursday, October 19, 2006

A Gamer's Mantra


Yesterday over at the Treasure Table Forums, the question was posed “What is the best way that we, as RPG consumers, can help revitalize the industry?” One of the members, Telus, gave a most eloquent summary of what we all as gamers should strive for in relation to the hobby. Reprinted here, with his permission is the list of To Do’s.

•Don't be a closet gamer. Admit it freely, and ask your interlocutors if they play fantasy football, and to explain the difference.

•Buy the good stuff, and tell people about it. Hell, buy the bad stuff, and warn people about it.

•Get your friends to game, even if it's a simple-rules one-shot.

•DM if you don't already. There are a TON of players out there looking for DM’s.

•Go to cons, buy stuff, and give feedback.

•Don't be a stereotypical gamer. Bathe regularly, learn some manners, and get a haircut and a job that lets you move out on your own. You'll find a better group of gamers and maybe even "get some".

2 comments:

  1. Oh man! The art of Bill Willingham, Good stuff!!!

    As much as a fan I was of his illo's for TSR, Willingham become a huge hero to me when I picked up his two V&V modules..("Death Duel With The Destroyers" and "The Island Of Doctor Apocolypse*")

    *I reused the maps from this 20+ years later for a Savage Worlds/Pulp adventure I ran for my gaming group! :P

    That cat not only wrote two of the greatest superhero modules ever..He also did the artwork too!!

    *swoon*

    Back in the day I was a fan of his comic series "The Elementals" and I am currently digging his writing on "Fables" for DC/Vertigo and of course "Shadowpact" for the mainstream DCU..

    I also enjoyed the list of things we as gamers can do to promote this very fine hobby..

    Jeff, I am becoming a fan of your blog..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta give an "AMEN, BRUTHAH!" to Brother Telus.

    Gonna snatch and repost in my own blog, of course!

    - Sean Patrick Fannon

    ReplyDelete