Thursday, May 24, 2007

A long time coming and way overdue



Noted fantasy artist Jim Holloway finally has a website showcasing some of his marvelous work.
For me Mr. Holloway's art personifies gaming. His works conveyed adventure, action, and humor. His illustrations are filled with life and movement, when you look at a Holloway illustration you often get the feeling you just walked into the middle of something, whether it's a gunfight, a car chase, or a horde of zombies trying to break down a door. Jim Holloway was the first artist that showed me the funny side of lizard men- His illustrations taught me to lighten up, that D&D could be goofy and fun from time to time. During my personal Golden age" of gaming in the 80's I was a TSR fanatic D&D, AD&D, Gangbusters, Star frontiers, Mini games, Dragon magazine, Etc. I bought em all and Jim Holloway's art was in all of it. I was never into the stark,dark and brooding styles of later artists. I gamed to get away from dark and brooding. Although, Holloway could do terror. the opening page of the Chill book proves that - remember,the hand coming out of the grave and the old guy with the pistol- classic.


5 comments:

  1. You didn't leave out all of the work Jim Holloway is responsible for in Paranoia because you forgot. Did you just not know?

    Holloway's body of work for Paranoia personifies the depth of humor he is capable of. Jim may be responsible for 90% of all art for the game. I never missed a supplement of Paranoia in my "Golden Age."

    Thank you for reminding me of this great artist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:22 PM

    Holloway did some great work. He is the only artist who ever made an owlbear look scary.

    Thanks for pointing this site out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holloway is aces, all day, every day. Gracias por el linko, DM-o Malvado!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember owning that particular issue of Dragon Magazine.

    Good memories

    ReplyDelete