Thursday, August 30, 2007

Savage Worlds Explorer Edition


Well now I guess we know it can be done. A game company can come up with a complete, high quality version of their core rules for under $10.00

Pinnacle Entertainment has done just that with their Savage Worlds Explorer edition- It’s the size of a graphic novel, full color, high quality, and yes it retails for $9.99. The gaming boards are abuzz with this product. Pinnacle has made an excellent marketing move; I bought two copies and am considering buying a third. I can throw them in my bag have a pick-up game at a convention and when somebody at the table says they don’t have the rules, I have extras. I really hope other companies see the success of pinnacles gamble and follow suit.

So, my new message to the bigger game companies: You want me to fork over $40+ dollars for your new “state of the art” campaign? Well then sell me the rule book with production values that match Savage worlds: Explorer’s Edition, for under 10 bucks, and let me take a look at your core engine. And don’t whine to me about costs, cause now I know you can do it.

5 comments:

  1. With a bit of luck and a good wind behind them, this could steal a march on D&D 4e and elevate Savage Worlds to the status of default "first system" for newcomers to gaming. I guess Pinnacle now just need to get Savage Worlds into the mainstream and raise public awareness (outside of gaming circles)of the system.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am waiting for my FLGS to get the 5 copies of SW:EX I've ordered for my gaming group in!

    We aren't playing again until Sept 17th and I can't wait to just pass a copy to all the guys..

    Pinnicle is putting out a great product and the production values are getting better and better! Deadlands:Reloaded and the Pirates book are beautiful..From what I hear "Solomon Kane" is as the youngster like to say "Off The Hook!"...

    If they could get into the big book chains I bet they could give the WoTC people a serious run for their money..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:48 AM

    Maybe I'll get a copy to support the idea, but I just don't like the system very much.

    Btw, RoleMaster Express is also $10 and just recently debuted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:14 PM

    @ the acrobatic flea:

    I strongly doubt that it will manage to reach the status of D&D. D&D will always stay the roleplaying game, regardless of how many good newcomer systems there will be.

    However, I think Savage Worlds could earn the status the universal system easier to learn and cheaper to buy than D&D.

    The explorers edition is a very good start to reach that goal, but what Pinacle needs to raise the public awareness you mention, are 1-2 good licenses to put out sourcebooks with.

    I guess those are very hard to acquire for relatively small companies like them, but that´d be the only way to effectively raise awareness for the system outside of gaming circles.

    I think the D20 system (and thus D&D) would have a clearly smaller player count if it wasn´t for Star Wars D20 and the Star Wars Miniatures Line and I would love to see Savage Worlds gain a similar drawing license.

    Would the Pirates Of The Spanish Main RPG be called "Pirates Of The Carribean RPG" and would it include the main characters of the movies as example player characters ... Savage Worlds would be overflown by new players.

    But, again, buying a license from a company like Disney is probably not the easiest thing to do for a small games company.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:46 AM

    I think this site is pretty cool. I will be back often

    ReplyDelete