Saturday, October 27, 2007

Who knew Air Elementalists could be so kick ass?


One of my oldest and most beloved AD&D characters was Mister Wu. Mister Wu was a Wu-Jen Fire Elementalist. Back in my RPGA days I played him in all the "Living city" tournaments in Hawaii. I always figured Fire Elementalist was the way to go (with Earth Elementalist a close second). But after watching Avatar: The Last Airbender, playing an Air Elementalist is looking kinda cool.

While I'm not a fan of the Anime style of animation, I have been pleasantly surprised by the animated series Avatar: The Last Airbender. I caught an episode the other night on Nickelodean and got hooked. since it's now in it's third season I had some catch up to do. I tracked down the first season and have been watching it with the minions. It's a great story, awesome premise, involved characters, yet it's at times goofy like a kids show should be. It's good family fun and gamers will relate to it from the opening credits.
Oh and it features one of Mako's final roles before his death, which is a +5 to the geek coolness factor right there.




Ok I will not make a snap decision on the long awaited Dragonlance movie. But I will say that I'm not liking the mixing of CGI and animation that this one is showing on the trailer. Being a gamer I've gotta wish it the best. fingers crossed.

6 comments:

  1. Wow. Like you said I hope for the best with it. But the standard animation and the CGI dont go together very well at all. I think I really would like to see it just all standard animated. No CGI. At least then it would look like the old D&D cartoon. Thats not nostalgia talking. Its because the old D&D cartoon looked better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jeff!

    The Avatar is a great show!! wonderful characters, touching and very funny and exciting.. I also like how they incorporate martial arts styles with the different elements.. I can swear that some of the moves that the earth elemantals use look like Uechi-Ryu..though I might be wrong...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:25 PM

    The animation looks terrible to me. I don't mind CGI and standard blends, but this isn't done very well.

    I like to watch a lot of anime, and I got to say, this isn't close to being on par with an average, low-budget anime.

    If you want to see CGI blended properly, watch Last Exile. Which has a better story than DragonLance anyway.

    I think the Airbender show looks pretty promising, but I've only seen about 4 episodes so far. Despite the Asian trappings, the style of the animation seems a lot more American to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:58 AM

    Nice blog, Ill have to link ya.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Avatar is definitely my favorite show at the moment. I really enjoy watching it with my kids.

    The story is great and the characters have depth and show a lot of development and nuance. Most "grown-up" shows don't have this good of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. RE: DRAGONLANCE

    I didn't see Tasslehoff in that trailer. Did they cut him out?

    'Cause I would.

    ReplyDelete