Saturday, January 12, 2008

Does anybody really care?



One of my good buddies in the Blogo-verse is a guy who goes by the handle the "Acrobatic Flea". He runs a very solid geek blog called Heropress.
For various reason he hasn't really been feeling the love out here on the net and has been thinking about folding up shop and dropping the Blog. Now this would be a shame, cause his blog is pretty damn good. He has insightful commentary, well written reviews, and other features that make his Blog one of my daily stops (and he doesn't even need half -naked girls to pad his weekly posts). In response to his post on thinking of quitting I responded:

"As official reader #2 I want to let you know I'm here just about every day. And believe me I know how frustrating it is to see a bunch of people visit and only one or two post a comment. But I find my blog as my way to log all the crazy stuff I see and think about. I use it as a repository for stuff I run across and don't want to forget. Your blog has turned me on to movies, games, and other websites I would have never known about otherwise.
I hang out at Midnights Lair because YOUR BLOG turned me on to it. so screw the world mate.
Blog for me and the other guys who appreciate it. Hell I got big numbers of visitors on my blog, but most of them just show up for the girlie picks.
They swipe em from me(The same way I swiped em from someone else) without so much as a "Thank you" and move on to the next shiny blog.
You think if my blog disappears tomorrow any of those guys would care? Hell no.
Like you, I have a few loyal readers, a small band of brothers that follow my blog cause we have stuff in common. Thats who I do it for. I blog for me, you and a handful of other guys who actually care about what I've been up to and what I think. I hope you keep it up buddy, but if you decide to close shop your always welcome at the Lair.
Jeff"


Is that how I really feel?
yeah, I guess it is.
I think blogging is more than just a little narcissistic. I mean, sure you tell yourself it's a way to post your thoughts and such, but it's also about that little charge you get when people actually respond to what you have written.
I love comments.
Do I get a lot of them?
No.
But then again I don't leave comments at every blog I visit every day either.

Have I made some friends as a result of the blog? Yup, I sure have.
I hope the Acrobatic Flea keeps on churning out Heropress. But if he doesn't thats okay too. Because of our blogs I know him, he knows me. and we're mates. So it's all good.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the support, Jeff. It means a hellalot, old buddy!

    No half-naked chicks?
    I come to the Lair for that... and Rachel wouldn't approve if they snuck into HeroPress (trust me... I've tried!)

    Blogging a "little narcissistic"?
    Totally... as much as my lofty ambition is to a have a record to look back on in years to come of what I was watching, playing, thinking etc, it's also to get reactions from other people and hear their opinions of my ramblings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think blogging should be done for the writer first and foremost. While getting readers and especially comments is a gigantic gratification, the thing remains that you usually get about 5-10% of your readers to comment.

    I don't read Heropress and I have the feeling that when one voices his intent to quit, it's already too late, the flame died.

    As for your Blog Jeff, while the girlies and the funnies are you DM of the Ring, I do stick around to read on your HD misadvenytures in Sacramento and really dig your Pulp stuff!

    Peace out... I'd like to be considered to be part of that little brotherhood! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate to see folks with good blogs quit - I checked out flea's blog - and I'm sure I'll be back now again and again.

    But to be fair, padding posts with half-naked women isn't always a bad thing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stick around, Jeff. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok ok, the guilt trip worked. Here's a comment. ;)
    I'm a silent reader of Lair and Heropress and you guys kick ass. Guess I should send some love more often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. NOOOOOOOO!

    I'd care if I lost my favorite source for half-naked chicks! And cool freebie RPG downloads I've missed! And snarky commentary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I ditto ultharcat, I'm guilty of just reading and moving on. The half-naked chicks are nice, but it's the sword & sorcery stuff that initially brought me here and has kept me coming back. Y'all hang in there and don't quit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dont worry guys, I aint going anywhere soon. I just posted that to give AF a bit of a pep talk during his momentary crisis of faith.

    Nice to see you guys post though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous9:43 AM

    Blogger isn't really set up for that. I have a Blogger blog; if anyone ever commented on it, I'd be astounded. No one ever has. They'd have to find it first…

    Blogfriends are found at places like LiveJournal. I know many good people there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous5:53 AM

    Hey, I hit your site every day, and I'm digging it whether you post naked chicks or something else. The girls are fine to look at for a few seconds but your other posts are the meat and potatoes for me. I don't know if I've commented before or not, but keep up the good work, omae!

    ReplyDelete