Thursday, February 07, 2008

Pulp Thursday-Special "Planet Stories" Edition


If you’re a pulp fan you really need to pay attention to this: Paizo Publishing has a new line of books called Planet Stories. Each month they are releasing a new volume of fiction by some of the best writers in the pulp genre. Names like Robert E. Howard, C.L. Moore, and Henry Kuttner. Characters such as Elak of Atlantis, Michael Kane, and Jirel of Joiry.


Some of these stories haven’t been in print in decades. You could comb through a hundred used bookstores and spend big bucks on eBay and you still would not be able to assemble a collection as complete as the one Paizo is putting together. The books are crisp and new, the covers have beautiful art, and once you get a set on your shelf they are gonna look great.


Paizo even has a deal for you. The thing is, sales of these books have been good, not great, but good. Face it we are talking a niche market here right? So they need to generate interest and get the word out there. So to do that Paizo has started a subscription service for the Planet stories line. Subscribe to Planet stories and each month you will get a brand new title at 20%off the cover price. I just did it myself and my monthly out of pocket is $14.31 for a brand new trade paperback delivered to my door. Could you get a copy of Almuric cheaper? Maybe. A brand new copy? Delivered to your door? Hell no.


I don’t work for Paizo and I’m not getting a cut of the sales. I’m writing this because I love the genre and I believe in what they are trying to do. What I’m getting at here folks is supporting the effort. Those of you who join me on Thursdays to get news on pulp stuff have got to see the value in this.


These stories are the inspiration that fueled Gary Gygax, Stan Lee, and all the giants of the comic and gaming world. And now you can have brand new complete collections of some of the best Pulp, Sword & Sorcery, Sword & Planet, and Science Fantasy out there.
Tell you what, if your still on the fence about this, then buy one title or go down to your nearest Barnes & Noble or Borders and flip through Black God’s Kiss or City of the Beast. After that, if you still can’t see the value then there ain’t much more I can say. But as for me, I’m taking the dive.

3 comments:

  1. I am reading Elak of Atlantis at the moment. Paizo sent me review copies of Elak and The Secret of Sinharat.

    I am really enjoying it, it is clear that it was written to continue the sword and sorcery theme that Howard had started in Weird Tales. It is defferent enough to still be interesting though!

    I hope Paizo like my reviews enough to send more books through.

    I will run the Elak review in the next Dial P For Pulp! and hopefully do the Sinharat review in the following show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip, I'm on that like white on rice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sold! Order placed

    ReplyDelete