Thursday, May 08, 2008

Would you like to play a game? - Savage Worlds Online




Savage Worlds is one of the top ten games I would love to play but never have.
A combination of personal issues and lack of like minded folks interested in the system has kept SW in the wings for months.


Recently a group of Savage World enthusiasts have started Savage Worlds Online. SWO hopes to gather SW players via the Internet and the Fantasy Grounds online gaming software. I purchased FGII a few months ago but never really put it to the test. However, now that it looks like it will be featuring strong support for the SW system I'm going to give it a shot and see if I can get in on a game or two.

GM'ing is a bit much for me at the moment especially since I'm not familiar with the system in actual play but I really would love to get into a Pulp or S&S game as a player. Who knows, if it works out I may be able to use this as a play tester for future WoB scenarios or the Lost Worlds pulp source book I'm currently working on. Any one else out there interested in SW or the online project?

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun. If I wasn't weeks away from starting my own online game, I'd be all over that like fleas on a hound.

    After flailing around a bit, I may end up just using OpenRPG, but if you come to some opinions on FGII, I'd love to hear 'em.

    - Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, looks like FG moved to Savage Worlds in response to the new 4th edition and all its online crap coming out, which is a good idea for FG. They're also getting the Chaosium BRP system on there, if you're into roll d%s and goin' nuts.

    I actually DM'd a number of games on FG. I was running the Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (got some screenshots on there) on FG until I had to take a hiatus to move across country (and build a new computer) and never got the gumption to actually transcribe in all of the actual Castle Ravenloft in FG (its kind of a pain in the ass and time-consuming to make adventures in there). Also played some WFRP on there (great free system for WFRP for FG as well)

    I'm lookin' for an excuse to reinstall FG on my new rig. I got the Solomon Kane Savage Worlds RPG (for ol' Solomon though, not because I'm a SW fan), though I have to admit I don't really understand the SW system all that well. I'd be willing to give it a shot though. If there's interest I can download the SW ruleset and fiddle with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy!! Do I ever love the Savage Worlds system, for me it is the right balance of crunch with the ability for players to take combat into crazy new ground!!

    In fact for the last 5 years this has been the only sytstem my group and I have been playing..

    If anybody has any question I reccomend that you check out the Savage Worlds forum,

    http://www.peginc.com/forum/

    This is a very friendly bunch who really help each other out in regards to the game.

    Jeffy, you might want to check out the Pulp Tool-Kit .pdf's they have for sale.. very cool stuff..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our group is just getting into Savage Worlds. Our first game will be Monday night. I can't wait. The system does really seem to be the system to be all systems.

    There are a ton of conversions at Savage Heroes websites. Tons of support at RPGNow as well.

    I really hope our group likes it. We will probably never have to switch systems again if they do.

    If they don't like it, then I guess I am glad there will be an online component.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still need to fork over the money to pick up FGII, but as soon as I do, I want to play. I can't play with my local group because of their insistence on D&D.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got the Solomon Kane book and it's amazing. My only real contention is that for $50, the book is really only useful for GMs - about 2/3rds of the pages are GM-only content, and that's a real waste of money and paper for any player who buys it. Should really have been a $20 Player's Book and a $30 GM's book.

    Regardless, great product, and this online dimension has me curious.

    ReplyDelete