Saturday, December 20, 2008

Children of the Lion

 Children of the Lion Written by a variety of authors under the pseudonym Peter Danielson, This historical fiction series begins with Abraham’s journey to the land of Canaan to claim it for his people in the name of God.  This is a sweeping epic that stretches nineteen volumes. I’m not sure that I'll read all of them but I found seven volumes at a thrift store, so we’ll see what happens. I’m currently reading the first and enjoying it. the cover art on these remind me of the Kent family chronicles written by John Jakes. The Children of the Lion series was published in the 80’s during a period where stories of this size were very popular.   I could see this as a setting for ZeFRS.  I checked to see if Green Ronin’s D20 game Testament had anything referencing this, but it didn't.  It would be easy to dismiss this as a romance novel when glancing at it on a bookstore shelf, but from what I’ve read so far its a nicely detailed work of historical fiction. It appears decently researched and offers an interesting day to day view of characters and peoples that most of us only know through history books, Cecil B. Demille epics, or from reading the old testament.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder on these. I remember seeing them once and thinking I'd read some. I actually didn't know there were more than two. I'll have to put a look out for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:14 AM

    These seem made to order for a Man, Myth & Magic campaign.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man,_Myth_%26_Magic

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charles,
    I used to see these books all over the place on my used book excursions. I'm enjoying the one I'm reading now.

    Baron,
    MM&M talk about a blast from the past! I have a copy of it believe it or not!

    ReplyDelete