Thursday, July 02, 2009

Used Bookstore score of the day: Casca!



I'm an admitted fan of pulp fiction. from the classic adventure stories of Louis L'Amour to the "Adult Western" adventures of Captain Gringo. Today I happened upon a coup that only another pulp paperback aficionado could appreciate:
The first four books in the Casca series by Barry Sadler. The Casca series chronicles the adventures of Casca Rufio Longinus A simple Roman Legionnaire who had the misfortune to draw guard duty during the Crucifixion of Jesus Christ.

In Sadler's version of the legend, Casca's only concern that day was getting together with a wine shop wench for a little fun after he was relieved at guard duty. Thinking to put and end to his charges misery and get off work early he stabbed Christ with his spear, trying to put a quick end to it all. Jesus was not amused and cursed the legionnaire to eternal life, eternal life as a soldier always going from one battle to another, never knowing peace, until Christ's return.

Each book in the series tells the story of Casca as he lives and fights through the ages. The Casca books are quick, fun reads packed with action and a surprising amount of detail. During the 80's and 90's the books were easy to get, but as the years go by they are becoming a rare find at the local bookstores. If any of you guys run across them, they are definitely worth the read.

want to read a little more about Barry Sadler and the Casca series?
check out these links:
http://www.swordandsorcery.org/swordsmen-casca.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casca_(series)

9 comments:

  1. I am definetly going to go looking for these. I like looking in used book stores and it helps to have a couple dozen tityles to watch out for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a handful of Casca books around, including this one. They're not bad pulp stuff. Pretty interesting charcter. I see you have a cover from one of the Falcon novels by Mark Ramsay. I've got 1 through 4 of these. Do you know if there were any more? I liked 'em alot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Charles,
    I think there were only 4 books in the series. I only have the first 3, the fourth one has eluded me so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. According to http://www.casca.net/ - there are over 30 in the series, with Sandler having penned the first 22 or so.

    I had a affinity for Casca books back in the late 80s/early 90s - thank you for reminding me of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only read Casca #21, The Trench Soldier, set in (of course) WW1. Pretty entertaining and a nice twist on the ol' post-modern pulp fiction "men's adventure" novel, especially when compared to the countless Mack Bolan ripoffs or the profusion of post-Vietnam Special Forces titles like Sons of Barrabas or Black Berets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:31 PM

    I devoured these during the eighties. They were solid "men's adventure" novels. The last couple (the high teens and early twenties) didn't quite do it for me, neither did the new guy they have writing them, but I could read the first dozen again and again.

    Doug.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Charles, et al;

    "Mark Ramsay" was, in fact, John Maddox Roberts. Yes, he of Conan pastiches and the Roman mystery series, SPQR.

    He's talked about the Falcon in a few interviews (and posts at Conan.com)

    There are no more in the series. The published dropped them after the four.

    JMR even tried to have his agent shop them around again when the movie 'Kingdom of Heaven' was coming out, but no one bit.

    As to Casca, I have one, which I think was late enough that it's not even Barry Sadler writing.

    Character concept is truly intriguing. I'll get around to reading it eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to see these all the time at the used bookstore I frequented as a kid. Never bought one though. I think I probably remember them because "Sadler" is pretty close to "Robeson" --which I always looked for first(still do actually).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, if any of you guys are interested in revisiting Casca, I have some on auction this week.
    http://evildm.blogspot.com/2009/10/evil-dm-auction-tarzan-and-casca.html

    ReplyDelete