Tuesday, January 26, 2010

You have Got to be kidding me!


Didn't Mongoose just release this a while back? And didn't they strecth the release out into multiple CORE rulebooks at around $30.00 a pop?

According to their website the this new edition is :

"streamlined and revised"

"significant changes"

"Combat - perhaps the most controversial aspect of the first edition of the game - has been almost completely retooled."

"Magic, too, has undergone radical redefinition."

So basically if you bought the first books they're  now worthless.  

Of course, Mongoose Publishing was the same company that had to come out with a whole new edition of the Conan game named the "Atlantean Edition" because their previous edition was so flawed. In fact they just lost the license a few weeks ago. Gee I wonder why??

7 comments:

  1. Actually, they released another edition after that one. They just called it "Second Edition." I spent a crapload of money getting most of the "Atlantean Edition" stuff not long before they changed the whole damn thing on me.

    Did Mongoose really lose the Conan license? That's just sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah I know about the "Second Edition" of Conan, I just didnt want to confuse everyone too much.

    We should do a blogpost titled "How do you fuck up a sweet license deal?"
    starring
    Mongoose Conan & WEG Star Wars

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:58 PM

    Add Decipher Lord of the Rings to that list...

    I can't be too sad about the Conan thing though. I was not a fan of that system/setting match, and really hope someone else gets the license. Savage Worlds maybe? They already have Solomon Kane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. E-DM,that would be hilarious.

    I think it would be great to see someone do an official Savage Worlds Conan. Unfortunately, Pinnacle (and everyone else who makes games for the system) seem to have their plates full, so I imagine it will have to wait.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Evil D, it's funny you should mention WEG Star Wars, because WotC just canceled the Star Wars game (minis and RPG).

    They aren't just suspending it--they've declined to renew the license.

    Sucks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's not so much that Mongoose lost it as Conan Properties decided to put it up for grabs by everybody. (Which is a pretty fine distinction, admittedly, but I think a real one.) You can read more about it here: http://cinerati.blogspot.com/2010/01/what-does-gaming-future-look-like-for.html

    Verification word: prost! Now if only I actually had some lager.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reminding me of how badly the Mongoose RPG was handled has angered me for the rest of the day.

    I ordered their $50 hardcover, got it, read through it, and was so shocked to find how flawed it was that I went to their discussion board, only to discover I was one of a massively growing majority.

    Any time an RPG company has you mailing in UPC stickers to get their revised/fixed edition at half price, you know you've effed up big time.

    ReplyDelete