Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Defenders of the Earth and Huck Finn


My buddy Karl just sent me this link and caused me to almost have a Nerdgasm. 
Defenders of the Earth  the complete series. 
Have any of you guys seen this series? 
I'm a big fan of the Phantom, but I must admit I'm not too familiar with this series.  One more thing to buy.


On a related note I scored a DVD with the old TV series "The New Adventures of Huck Finn"
Unless you're a "baby boomer" like me you wont remember it.  Hell I can barely remember it. but I remember wanting to go to the cartoon land they were trapped in. I think I also had my first "fanboy" crush on the girl who played Becky. Oh, and "Injun Joe" (Ted Cassidy) scared me so much I almost spilled my bowl of Quisp while watching it.









2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:19 AM

    Defenders of the Earth really monkeyed with the backstory of the King Features characters (which Mandrake, Lothario, Flash Gordon, Phantom, etc. all were). To appeal to children the main protagonists were often Rick "Flash Jr." Gordon and [drawing a mental blank on the Phantom's daughter's name, but she's the next Phantom in succession].

    Anyway, it's not horrible, but if you're offended by changes in continuity from the source material, avoid this. Overall I liked it but there wasn't much animated action stuff in the years this came out to compare it to.
    G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's not brilliant, being very much a relic of the 80's action cartoon era, but with none of the energy or charm of the earlier series. The future Phantom series was much more interesting.

    ReplyDelete