Thursday, July 08, 2010

Some recent buys from a Goodwill run

First up was a big blast from the past. This baby was from back in the day when we judged a games worth by the weight of the box. and Fantasy Games Unlimited (FGU) had some heavy contenders. Honestly, I was never a big fan of FGU's games. I fully understand that Villains and Vigilantes (V&V) is considered a fan favorite and a true classic. Unfortunately instead of V&V, I bought Bushido and Aftermath, character generation almost made me cry in frustration.

The box for Year of the Phoenix is dated 1986, The movie Red Dawn was released in 1984. Coincidence?  I don't think so.


The box looks pretty complete (no dice though). Boxed games at the Goodwills in my town range from .99cents to $3.99. This went for $1.99, a no-brainer for me.


 I'm not sure how clear this is going to come out, but I took a pic of the "product catalog" just for nostalgia sake. I might scan it later if anyone wants a copy.



The Hard back 1st edition books sold for $2.49. The modules,magazines, and DM Screen were all a buck a piece. My first standing order is that I buy anything RPG related and that goes double for all things TSR. I am an unabashed TSR junkie. Talk smack about TSR all you want- just do it somewhere else. TSR brought me too much joy to ever bad mouth them. There were problems, there was drama, and there were bad choices, but the fact remains if there was no TSR chances are there would have been no gaming as we know it today. And for that alone I show respect. 
But I digress... Did you notice that the DM Screen has the Mini Module Terrible Trouble at Tragidore?






This Green Hornet costume for the re-issued Action Man figure was in the games section for $3.99...SCORE!

It has comic book characters on the cover. So it was marked as a kids book....99Cents.



This looked to me like Risk for the brainy set.  Avalon Hill Games fall into my "all games get bought" policy.




I have yet to really go through it but it looks complete and only partially punched.


And my best score this round...and it's complete...for 99 Cents...no shit...99cents.


7 comments:

  1. Wow, just wow.

    I can safely say that you have the Goodwill of the Gods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I actually played History of the World several times and it is a blast. The thing that makes it work is each turn everyone gets their shot to be history's bad ass. The thing is you have to maximize your points. So when you are running lean with the thracians it helps to be conservative and actually follow the thread of history, but when you are one the big boys like the romans you can take chances. By the end the world generally looks like the history but with some differences. I remember one game the vikings got all the way to gulf of mexico. We used to joke after that about jamaican vikings, "Jah Odin!"

    Lazarus Lupin
    http://strangespanner.blogspot.com/
    art and review

    PS, if you don't want it, i'd buy it off ya! heh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeffy, you live in a magical land...I envy the American Goodwill stores...thank you for sharing your finds with your fans

    ReplyDelete
  4. History of the World is fun. I've got a copy on the game shelf right next to me. My son is really getting into Civilization and Age of Empires on the computer; it might be time to break this out for some family time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a fan of first edition AD&D, but I would buy those books in a second just for the covers. Great images, great, simple design. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There was a mini-fad for jingoistic paranoia games around then. I seem to remember Price of Freedom came out almost simultaneously. Didn't Year of the Phoenix have a sort of Farscape/Planet of the Apes aspect to it, though - the PCs were astronauts who had been flying around at relativistic speeds & returned to Earth 200 years after the Great Communist Takeover or something?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:43 AM

    Amazing finds... wish my local Goodwill was half as exciting.

    ReplyDelete