Friday, December 10, 2010

Dreaming of an "Official" Hyborian War for the PC



On the back of the late issues of the old Savage Sword of Conan magazine there was always an ad for Hyborian War. Hyborian War was a Play by Mail (PBM) game of world conquest set in Conan’s world, basically Conan Risk.  I never got around to playing it, but in the latter years with the advent of computer gaming I was sure that someone would catch on to the idea of a large scale war game for the PC using the Hyborian setting, but it never happened. 

I recently found a great little war-game called Field of Glory. It’s a turn-based strategy game where you command an army and either recreate famous historical battle or create new ones.  Fields of Glory also has an online component where you can challenge other players. I’m having a lot of fun with it and I can’t help but think this would be awesome if it was adapted for Conan’s world.



I've enjoyed strategy games in the past, but the world building requirements of most of the bore me. I could care less about feeding the peasants, building a chapel, or upgrading a smithy so that I can have chariots. I just want to go out there and kick some ass.

My ideal game would be one where I was the Captain of a Free Company of mercenaries and I could have them travel about the world hiring on, fighting, recruiting, and generally adventuring.  I wouldn’t mind a small logistics and supply portion where I would have to find supplies to feed the men or buy new and better weapons.

My one nit with Field of Glory is that I haven’t found a way to improve the units, whether I win or lose a battle, the next battle all the units are as good as new just like in Chess, I want a way to hire Peasant Levy and through training and experience have them grow into more effective units. But other than that Field of Glory is a great way to while away a half hour or so.

1 comment:

  1. Do you know Warhammer: Mark of Chaos? You have only units, no buildings. In fact, you are the commander of one group and just roam the land, being mean.

    ReplyDelete