Saturday, December 18, 2010

The minions shook the hold of Nintendo DS and actually learned something this weekend

We had a stay-in -Lair day yesterday, thanks to heavy rains in the area. I looked out amongst my throng of Minions and noticed that their eyes were all glued to little tiny screens. I thought this would be a perfect time for a forced learning experience. I ordered all electronics turned off and then told them all that their would be a block of instruction on the a facet of the American West.  I started with a brief lecture on ranching, the cattle industry, and the logistics  of getting beef from the rural ranches to the cities in 19th century America. I then wrapped up the lecture with a showing of John Wayne's western classic: The Cowboys.  




For those of you bereft of a classical education, The Cowboys is the story of a rancher who is forced to use schoolboys to help move his cattle 400 miles from his ranch to the rail lines. The movie is a wonderful coming of age tale and one of "The Dukes" best performances. 


The Minions enjoyed the movie and at Sunday breakfast they regaled  "She who must be obeyed" with a review of the movie and how folk in the big cities got their beef.  So all in all, the lesson stuck.


Next week we'll be taking a look at the tensions between Norman and Saxon in Merrie Old England with a showing of Errol Flynn's - The Adventures of Robin Hood.

5 comments:

  1. I've been looking for a good Western to use to introduce the kids. What ages is it appropriate for? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never mind. I read the Wikipedia synopsis. A little too violent for my guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love "The Cowboys" and the climax caught me off guard too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My boys are 10 and 11.
    There are a few well placed "Ya mean old Son of a Bitch" type lines but nothing vulgar.
    No sex. But a bit of colorful dialogue when the boy run across a travelling bordello. very tame by todays standards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Cowboys rocks!!! I LOVE that movie!!!

    Jhon Wayne: "Go to hell!"

    ReplyDelete