Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Robert E. Howard's Savage Sword #1

As discriminating and thrifty as I try to be in my comics purchases I keep running into titles that have me reaching for my wallet just about every week lately.
Robert E. Howard's Savage Sword is just such a title.

Dark Horse has gathered some great material that has so far rarely been seen in the world of Sword & Sorcery comics. We are all well familiar with Conan, Kull and most recently Solomon Kane, but Dark Horse is taking the unprecedented step in printing tales of some of Howard's other, lesser-known adventurers. Dark Agnes (the original template for Red Sonja), the Pict King Bran Mak Morn, and of course one of my personal favorites Francis Xavier Gordon also known as "El Borak".
Each appears in serialized form and shares the book with a tale of the one and only Conan.
If you're a Sword & Sorcery junkie like myself, you really cant pass on this.

5 comments:

  1. Well technically Red Sonya was the original template for Red Sonja, though Thomas took some inspiration from Dark Agnes too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may be right young Taranaich, but have a care. The Evil DM has little use for rules lawyers, fact checkers, or those who use "actually" to begin a sentence.
    I have been known to unleash a horde of Wednesday girls to teach such miscreants the error of their ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I'll find some of these at the comic con down here this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At last! El Borak in comics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. [quote]I have been known to unleash a horde of Wednesday girls to teach such miscreants the error of their ways.[/quote]

    ACTUALLY, that might not be such a bad idea! :)

    ReplyDelete