Friday, April 29, 2011

Virtual Gaming using corkboard






I’ve been part of a Monday night Barbarians of Lemuria game set in Hyboria. We play online using Skype and Open RPG.

I’ve been having a great time with it and have really started to look forwards to Monday nights as my “game night”. It’s not in person, but we still manage to have some good laughs and manly banter.

The open RPG is pretty crappy though. I’m finding more and more that I don’t really need to see little tokens on a board to have fun with all of this, Especially with the Barbarians of Lemuria system. I think we use open rpg mostly for the dice roller but that’s not even worth it in my opinion as the dice program seems to run in strings of either high or low rolls.

I’m thinking a using a virtual whiteboard might just be better. You lose the pog idea but that’s not really all that much.

In fact someone (I'm not sure whether it was Stargazer or Greywulf) turned me on to Corkboard.me

I whipped toghether a virtual table top for a Dicey tales game. See here.

Corkboard has a chat function. I'm going to email the creator and suggest a dice rolling function to be added to the chat, Who knows, maybe he's a gamer huh?

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for pointing this out - I'll see if it can be of any use in my next online session.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am innocent this time. ;) It was actually Greywulf who first posted about Corkboard.me and how you could use it for running games online.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this. That layout is a thing of beauty - especially to a grumpy old luddite like me who'll run a mile at the thought of online gaming.

    Presumably this Corkboard thingy is easy to use then? And intuitive? Might have to see if there are application for my own campaign!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the Flea. Jeff do keep us informed about this. Your experience with it, how easy it is to use, to set up. Looks darn good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, compadre, tell me more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Doc. I'm trying to get an online game of Dicey Tales going but I'm having a helluva time finding people to play.
    I want to run an online game using skype and this app.
    I want to do it on fridays from 2-5pm Pacific time.
    so far I only have one taker. I need 4.
    Any of you guys wanna give it a shot drop me a line.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been running an LL/AEC campaign using MapTool and Vent for about 4 o 5 months now. I prefer MapTool over OpenRPG, but we have the same sort of experience with the "dice rolling". Corkboard looks interesting though.

    ReplyDelete